Whenever your gas furnace is working, carbon monoxide is being formed. However, there is no cause for worry. It is a natural result of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is working properly, it is carefully deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is stored inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely forced through the flue vent to the outside. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a consequence of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Inhaling too much carbon monoxide blocks the body from using oxygen and can harm the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can injure anyone exposed to the gas, it is especially risky for people with existing lung or heart problems, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and sustain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s nearly impossible to perceive carbon monoxide is building up in your home. You may be unaware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Put carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by pros, you should have it checked. The experts at Jack's Heating, Cooling, Stoves & Fireplaces can make sure your blower motor is installed properly and that there are no flaws in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can build up if there are problems in those territories.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Regular maintenance is the best action to take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly maintenance appointment, your professionals will clean your system and examine it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a good idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally monitored as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A backup of airflow caused by a spoiled filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to routinely check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s specifications.
5. Always depend on professionals to repair your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be very dangerous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few meaures. You’ll always have the professionals at Jack's Heating, Cooling, Stoves & Fireplaces in Alliance just around the corner to help, too. Give us a call at 308-321-4703 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.