While the cold season seems like it’s already been here for much too long, its effect on our heating bill is just starting. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help lower those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To begin reducing your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open throughout the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter regularly.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Attempting to keep your energy bills down and energy efficiency up, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a jingle at 308-321-4703. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Alliance weather.