You’re in the middle of the most bitter week of winter and you wake up trembling in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thing you think is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to end up in a scenario like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to arrange furnace repair, but there are a couple things you can check, as well as a couple things you can do, to stay ahead of the game and have a plan for a predicament like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Frigid nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you have a better chance at averting a chilly situation.
- Compile supplies. Find some room in a closet, drawer or another handy area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace isn’t working. It could seem annoying or unnecessary now, but it will be a relief when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Running:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace could have been tripped by a power surge or for some other reason. If this occurs, flip the breaker back on and you could be set. If the breaker is flipped and you have turned it back on but your furnace still isn’t working, give us a call to schedule an appointment for furnace repair.
- Add layers and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you retain body heat so you can stay comfortable while waiting for your expert. Also, try to find an activity to do to keep your blood pumping, as more activity can help keep you cozy.
- Stay safe. Using something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose potential danger depending on the method you’re choosing. It’s important to remember to never use heating methods designed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use an alternate method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your go-tos.
No one wants to deal with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has stopped working, but the probability is real if you don’t take the correct steps. Give the experts at Jack's Heating, Cooling, Stoves & Fireplaces a call at 308-646-3827 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services available or any other number of heating questions.